Ingredients that should be considered when consuming sports drinks
Ingredients to be aware of
- 200 times sweeter than sugar
- In the short term, acesulfame potassium doesn’t raise your blood sugar or insulin. However, the long-term effects of consistent use by humans are unknown.
- Reduces good gut bacteria
- Makes meds less effective
- Releases toxins: May alter your body’s responses:
- Was intended to help in the detection and/or monitoring of pulmonary aspiration in patients being fed by an enteral feeding tube
Tips for Hydration
For most activities, if you are doing continuous exercise for 60 minutes or less, then water is fine.
Beyond 60 minutes and if the intensity is high, you should consider a sports drink.
Sports drinks that include the following are best:
- Electrolytes help regulate nerves and muscles
- Carbohydrates provide muscle fuel
- Water helps hydrate
- Natural Sugar
Check out my fitness and nutrition community support group on Facebook for great tips.